Using sonic’s test version of the mod (not complete) via e-mail I started playing HoC on my phone on an airplane. I just finished the Yuan Shao section.
Feedback so far.
1. This mod is FANTASTIC! The use of profiles and maps is incredible. This is the best mod ever if it will ever get finished
2. Also love the usage of officers. With different profiles and weapons available you have to constantly reassess what your best party is which is uber fun. I find myself wanting to keep an Engineer around (even though they are weaker) because of the skills they have.
3. The usage forced officer leaves enhances the story as you have more “temporary” officers.
Bugs Observed (some my fault, some not my fault)
1. During the Lu Bu main fight Evade got turned on even though nobody casted it.
2. When party members are forced out of the party, weapons for other members of the party are unequipped (I know this is my bug).
3. Enemy tries to use Life on party members that are alive. This could be a tactic setup targeting issue or my issue, would have to trace.
4. Guan Yu said he was leaving the party then he didn’t. I put him in billeting to save the integrity of my game
5. Some unused officer names and text (1w and stuff like that).
If you commit to finishing the mod I’ll commmit to fixing whatever bugs I can above. This mod needs to be released at some point. Even if you chop down a chapter or two. It’s a great and fun mod as it is now.
Played further. A couple more issues.
Some text and officer names missing (this is probably known)
Some enemies (ie…the big name enemies) have the ability to wipe out your entire party in 1 shot even with defensive tactics set up. So basically you can only win with luck.
The cave with the iron ore, the 2nd passageway is broken.
Still loving this mod. If it gets cleaned up and finished this will undoubtedly be the best mod ever!
Oh man you’re killing me! lol.
I thought I hit a dead end after waking up the sleeping guy. The path was blocked but I had the throne guy show up at another castle then it was fixed and I was able to continue.
After the battle of Chi Bi, holy crap that battle. I think the “Destroy” tactic is overpowered. Even with guard + protect + focus it can still just about wipe out my party in one shot. Highly frustrating. It took me at least 15 tries to win that battle. I don’t know how much further I’ll be able to go but I’ll keep going.
This mod is so close to being done, it’s a shame we haven’t given it that final push.
Well I think I finally hit the dead end after defeating the “invasion”. I might have done things slightly out of order based on soldier counts and such. I went south of CS first and took care of that then discovered MT and MC up north. Now the throne guy tells me to go south of CS but I already took care of that stuff. So now officially stuck. Was thinking I had to go south of HZ but that isn’t done yet it seems. I obtained the “next generation” guys but don’t really have any use for them right now. My party at this point is SY, CC, ZZ, ZL, XH. Soldier counts are somewhat low for the last two but they are the rare ones that can use the best weapons available right now.
Oh well, was looking forward to the showdowns between the two uber guys. Sad that I seem to have hit the end of the line (for now). I’d say this mod is about 80% done. It’s too good not to finish!
Damn, that’s awesome! So if the issues that were said to exist could be solved the game could be released rather quickly.
And you know I’d be all over it, and likely find whatever is broken.
On hiatus. I tried updating the mod lately and I ran into a major issue that stopped me from wanting to continue. First of all, the events stopped working. For example, in the original when Dong Zhuo was defeated at Xu Chang, an event would happen that would allow the Emperor to switch between castles. This stopped working for some reason which messes up the game not too badly until you get to the Zhuge Liang leave event portion. Also the Yuan Shu speech mid-battle about him leaving also does not work. Yes, the forced-officer leave events tend to work randomly as well.
The premise of the mod was to be different than stock DOAE where you almost never replaced your characters except maybe 1 or 2 so you literally wind up cycling through everyone in your party at some point because I’m making STAT ranges so large. This was much different than the original DOAE even, and especially different form most mods like where Yuan Tan gets 230STR and 250INT
I put loads of work into the mod, but the event bugs which fuel this mammoth of a mod are such a huge barrier that I even considered starting over from scratch if I ever picked it up again. Darn, and after I put all that work into those portraits… a shame really.
Thanks for giving a try though. Maybe I should just post the borked up version for anyone just to playtest some of the basic working elements.
There are a few borks that I am aware of in addition to officers not always being removed and this happens sometimes randomly so its hard for me to pinpoint them. Sometimes it affects Guan Yu, other times Dian Wei or Guo Jia.
1. Events are not working even with an event code which prevents the emperor from moving from castle to castle even though all triggers are still in place in both battles and speeches. Once you acquire the Xiahou brothers and eliminate Dong Zhuo/Li Jue, the dialogue should progress to the Lu Bu/Yuan Shu portions respectively, but they don’t. They get stuck.
This is the largest bug and I have been unable to determine when and why this happens and in which version this began happening. If this doesn’t work, this prevents many things from continuing including the Zhuge Liang visitation portion which also prevents the “Shu House” from being crossable which acts as a barrier to prevent players from progressing through certain parts of the story too early without acquiring Sima Yi. I have tried recopying all event data from the original game but this somehow fails to fix it, unless I’m copying something wrong…. which is very possible.
2. Lu Bu uses Yuan Shu’s flee speech and the yes/no option gets completely eliminated for some reason. No a biggie, but it kind of bring finality to the war with Lu Bu at Xia Pi.
3. As you know, enemy officers trying to use life/raise fail and they also at times attack themselves when certain tactics fail, I think when they try to use certain healing tactics.
The mod you have is the most current.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.