Yuan Shao's Revenge – Version 2.0
Use an emulator that supports 512k ROMs! I know FCE Ultra 2.0 works. Nesten does not work. To download FCE Ultra: http://fceultra.sourceforge.net/download.php
ROM of the Year Runner Up
Best Story line/Text Modifications Runner Up
Best Battle System / Tactic Modifications Runner Up
- The setting takes place between the Yellow Turban rebellion and the timeframe of the Cao Cao vs Yuan Shao war (200 AD). That means no Sima Yi and no Zhuge Liang. However, there are still some very powerful allies and enemies as you will see.
- Tactic names have been changed to *mostly* match DoaE 2.0 and the Cao Cao mod. I made some minor changes. For example the most powerful water tactic is called "Tsunami". Also I changed "Behead" to "Remove". It doesn't seem right to me that a guy can lose his head over and over and keep coming back to life.
- IPS Patch enhancements included:
– Iron Ore / Treasure Chest Bug Fix
- Portrait Expansion Code
- Sprite Expansion Code
- Pre-loaded sprite bank(s)
- 8 tactics
- Agility on status page
- Critical hit formula changes (subtle increase in number of critical hits)
- Agility Based Multi-attacks
- Modified soldier bars to support more troops
- 25 soldier gain level up patterns
- Modified TP gains at level-up
- Change food usage (subtle decrease in amount of food used)
- DoaE2 like damage
- New Chapters
- "Life" and "Raise" tactics
- Tactic slots and order changed to support 8 tactics, life, and raise.
- Smoke pot lasts twice as long
- DOAE Artificial Intelligence Enhancements
- "Duel" Tactic (replaces Shui Jian)
- "Charge" Tactic (replaces Cheng Nei)
- "Protect" Tactic (combines Wuo Jian, Shui Jian, and Cheng Nei)
- Enhanced "An Sha" tactic
- Level/soldier based damage for tactics
- Guard tactic only defends against physical attacks
- "Defend" halves physical and tactic damage and gains TP
- There is no tactician. Each officer uses their own tactics.
- Some weapon and armor name changes. The final swords have some "ROTK" type names.
- Some cities changed to better represent Yuan Shao's story. Example: Xu Zhou is now "Ye". Zhang Jue, Dong Zhuo, and Yuan Shu are the *only* final bosses that are the same as the original DoaE. After that it's all different.
- Almost every general has a unique portrait. Many new sprites include as well.
- When invading Cao Cao's land, there is a re-creation of the battle of Guandu. Same enemy generals, etc… That is the turning point in the war…if you lose you re-create history, if you win…
- Battles somewhat re-created:
Mixed with some historical and fictional stuff to keep the story going.
- Difficulty is higher than the original DoaE but not impossible.
- Yuan Shao sits on the fancy chair with his sprite instead of Liu Bei's.
- Yan Liang and Wen Chou no longer leave your party and are billetable (they are in the Guan Yu and Zhang Fei roles)
- Most generals have soldier growths. You may have some tough party decisions.
- Some game events have been changed so if you're a DoaE vet there may be some minor surprises.
- This was the very first MOD to change the map (done by hand before DoaEditor could edit the map – ouch).
- First mod to use additional portraits and sprites in an expanded ROM.
- First mod to use brand new DoaE tactics (Life and Raise)
- First mod to make the Guan Yu and Zhang Fei characters billetable.
- First mod to use a new chapter (Liu Bei's Wu part 2 chapter).
- First mod to kick Liu Bei's sprite out of his chair.
- First mod to use all IPS patch enhancements.
- First mod to manipulate some traditional DoaE events (you'll have to play to find out what they are).
- First mod to have additional artificial intelligence in the bad guys.
- First mod to use the new tactics Protect, Charge, and Duel.
Pics (some old, some newer):
Liu Bei is finally kicked out of his chair:
New portraits and sprites! And the "Duel" tactic!
I ❤ 8 tactics:
Who is this?
Getting Iron Ore is a bit harder now…
What has Xu Shu done with the rock maze?
Where are we? (this is a pic of the very first map change in a DoaE ROM done via hex):
Tactic Names for the Yuan Shao mod:
Flame (targets one enemy)
Blaze (targets all enemies)
Powder (targets one enemy)
Flood (targets all enemies)
Torrent (targets one enemy)
Tsunami (targets all enemies)
Arrow (Agility Based) Tactics:
Arrows (targets all enemies)
X-Bows (targets all enemies)
Strength Based Tactics:
Boulder (targets one enemy)
Catapult (targets one enemy)
Ambush (targets one enemy)
Charge (critical hit)
Heal (targets one ally)
Salve (stronger heal that targets one ally)
Recover (targets all allies)
Revive (targets one ally)
Miracle (targets all allies)
Life (revives one ally with "Salve")
Raise (revives one ally with "Revive")
Protect – Cut damage for fire and water tactics, also adds Cheng Nei status
Guard – Cuts physical damage in half
Evade – Avoids physical damage
Thwart – Avoids tactic damage
Negate – Counter enemy strategies
* Protect and Guard are mutually exclusive. Only one is active at a time. Protect or Guard will fail if Evade or Thwart is active.
** Evade and Thwart are mutually exclusive. Only one is active at a time.
Haste – Increase agility for one ally
Rally – Boost attack power for all allies
Offensive Non-Damage Tactics:
Duel – Challenge opposing officer to a duel (STR based)
Remove – Remove an enemy from battle (INT based)
Doubt – Stop one enemy from moving
Mislead – Make an enemy attack their allies
Nice job, I've burned through Chapter 1 really quick. You know, with the high troop count and a variety of great officers, it's actually fun and moderately easy at the same time. So far so great, though I did chuck Liu… Pi? back in the billeting after he served his Han Zhong part. Yeah, too scared to attack Qing Zhou head on. At Level 7 myself, beat Hua Xiong and Si Shui, and am going to hit Lu Bu now.
The beginning isn't much harder than the original. The first hard battle is Lu Bu (if you don't have Scorch yet) or Chang An. There are some fairly challanging battles ahead but it definitely isn't as hard as the Cao Cao mod.
Do you think I should make any of the earlier battles harder?
Maybe you should raise Zhang Bao and Zhang Jao's intelligence just a tiny bit, 144 INT for Zhang Bao seems somewhat unfitting. Though it is just a start, it might be an easy boost for new players, as long as the second chapter is difficult enough. I got crushed by Lu Bu, so I'm going to go get myself a Scorch (Ye Huo). Though I am afraid Li Ru and Cai Yong will use Douse too many times.
OK good idea. I just raised Zhang Bao and Zhang Jao's INT by 20 each. That should make it a tad harder but not overwhelming for newbies.
Yes I haven't tried fighting Lu Bu without Scorch yet. I made that battle a lot harder than the Hua Xiong one on purpose
Wow, I'm betting this is going to blow my Dong Zhuo mod out of the water… I'm still making changes to mine. Might have run into a snag today using the text editor. Hopefully didn't screw too much up.
could someone email me the ROM? I can't seem to use whatever site that is linked to. chapman_andrew_j at yahoo
I've gone through Chapter 2, beat Lu Bu fairly easily with Scorch. Beat Chang An at level 10, and I got that dude with the really long name. Uh… ZhouYu Renmng or something? I thought he was supposed to be Zhou Yu, styled Renming. >_> Anyway, put Yuan Tan in the billeting, my party consists of:
Yes…I named him that so he wouldn't be confused with the other "Zhou Yu". I also gave him a lot of soldiers because historically he leads the battle vs Yuan Shu –> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yangcheng
That's the same party I had at that stage.
I beat Lu Bu easily enough without Scorch. He's a heavy hitter, though, no doubt about it. I had Chen Lin healing nearly every turn.
Link – besides the Liu Bei thing you're about to hit the next major deviation from the original game in the Yuan Shu area.
cabalpapa – Ya if you're able to heal enough you can do it. He swings a big stick but doesn't do much else. The fact that two strategists show up with him complicates matters a little.
Definitely didn't design any very hard battles at this stage of the game. Chang An can be challenging depending on what Jia Xu does.
lol He swings a big stick.
Cool bro. I was keeping tabs on this thread on SoSZ but was going to wait to comment until a BETA was finished. Thanks for just coming here and making it simple, I'll definitely grab the file and host it on the Roms page here.
Rom itself looks nice. Unique portraits from DoaE II are kick ass. I assume you took out the old unique portraits (DoaE I)?
Got a busy day today but a little later tonight I should have some time to give this a good run-through. Looking forward to it, will give further analysis then
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.